20 October 2014 22:17:31 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Ghost
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

New to the handheld GPS world, and am starting to do a little research and shop around a bit. Looking for input and/or suggestions.

I'm not familiar with all the features available, but some of the stuff on the Garmin Oregon line looks pretty cool.

What do some of you guys use and why? are there any in particular that you think stand out or that are not as good? Thanks for any input!

AZTtripper
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have been using an older style one Etrex Legend HCx for years very handy for certain kinds of riding.

Haven't needed a new one haven't taken the time to really look into them lately. I did hear that the Oregon had some issues with visibility in the beginning.

Perhaps our resident GPS guru ScottM will chime in I know he has used most all of them.

Originally I bought mine to use for bikepacking trips. It would be tough to do big rides like the AZT with out one. Not impossible but challenging.

They are also handy for day rides on new trails if you can score a track from someone else. If you want to do the TMP challenge http://www.tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1154 just load up the track and go. I have done this loop a lot but when I get out into the area west of Kinney, lots of trails out there, I still need the GPS to stay right on course and not loose time wondering.

Lastly its fun to track a new ride and then get to see where you were on a map.

Also you'll need some kind of mapping program. I have been using Scott's program Topofusion for years http://www.topofusion.com/index.php There are a lot of other options of course including Google Earth.

Tim

John
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 since it was pretty cheap and since it's a watch, I can hike with it.

AZTtripper
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

John wrote:
I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 since it was pretty cheap and since it's a watch, I can hike with it.

I should think it would be pretty hard to navigate on the fly having to check your watch while riding.

It is possible to follow a track with the GPS mounted on the bars.

I have used the Legend while hiking just stick it in a pocket. Pants pocket if I want to use it a lot or in the pack either way.

No doubt you can get a Forerunner for a good price they just seem limited to me.

John
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

AZTtripper wrote:
John wrote:

I should think it would be pretty hard to navigate on the fly having to check your watch while riding.

It is possible to follow a track with the GPS mounted on the bars.

I have used the Legend while hiking just stick it in a pocket. Pants pocket if I want to use it a lot or in the pack either way.

No doubt you can get a Forerunner for a good price they just seem limited to me.

I agree, it's definitely not for navigation. I only use it for metrics and recording. For navigation, I still enjoy pulling out a map for some reason Mr. Green

AZTtripper
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hear ya on the good old fashioned map idea. But then again GPS navigation has made a lot of riding possible for me. And it would hard to send some one a paper map as an email attachment.

Ghost

Owning a GPS won't clean up Redington http://www.tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6191

But if you had had one with you on that ride you wouldn't have need to worry about the lack of signs.

You could just go to http://www.bikepacking.net/routes/arizona-trail/ and download the AZT network with that and a mapping program you could put a route together. Or I have a track of a fun loop MadMax and I did in the snow last year that includes an out n back to the falls.

Ghost
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AZTtripper wrote:
I hear ya on the good old fashioned map idea. But then again GPS navigation has made a lot of riding possible for me. And it would hard to send some one a paper map as an email attachment.

Ghost

Owning a GPS won't clean up Redington http://www.tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6191

But if you had had one with you on that ride you wouldn't have need to worry about the lack of signs.

You could just go to http://www.bikepacking.net/routes/arizona-trail/ and download the AZT network with that and a mapping program you could put a route together. Or I have a track of a fun loop MadMax and I did in the snow last year that includes an out n back to the falls.

True that it wont help re: the Redington area, but that experience did get me to thinking... At least there I knew roughly where I was and based on the position of the mountains it would be hard to actually get 'lost' nonetheless, there will certainly be times where I am somewhere that I am NOT that familiar with the geography and a GPS would be a good addition.

AZTtripper
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but it's still just a gadget and not a replacement for common sense. Combined with a mapping program and a spirit of adventure it can be a handy gadget tho.

cruzn29er
Advanced Writer
Advanced Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Harmon edge500 is the one I use. I like the #s and data it gives you, especially for longer rides. Mot importantly, the calorie counter is good. Gives me an idea and reminder I need to eat. Sunds odd but I tend to forget the nutrion while I ride. Rely has mde a difference. I. Have not used the gps to guide me, just to track where I have been.
My favorite part of mtbn has been going to new trails and exploring and finding my way back to civilization. It's been fun

Mouretsu
Jr. Writer
Jr. Writer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I also have the Garmin Edge 500 and I love it for tracking my rides. It doesn't have a mapping function, it's just for getting all of your ride data. It does have a feature that I haven't used where you can upload a GPS track and then ride it as a workout. It won't show you a map view but it's supposed to show you the route and your position on the route. So if you were riding a new place you could try doing that to make sure you stay on track. And a lot of sites that let you upload GPS data will upload the info directly from the Edge when it's plugged into your computer so you don't have to download a file then upload the file to the site. Garmin also has free training software that lets you download your ride/run data from the edge and shows you a map and all of the data from the track.

View next topic
View previous topic