15 June 2019 16:19:22 PDT (GMT -7)

Tucson MTB: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Let me check that out and find out what's going on. Anyone else having issues?

Training Wheels
Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In looking at the link

https://www.dropbox.com/home?select=tortsbushwhack_fixed.kml#:::

it takes who ever is clicking to "home?" I think this is the problem with the link. It will take whoever clicks on it to their own home drop box directory. There needs to be a URL that has a fixed account number or directory number instead of "home?"

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I shall work on this today, not sure why this is doing that...

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I shall work on this today, not sure why this is doing that... In the meantime, if anyone needs the file, please PM me and I will forward

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

OK, it was my bad, I had not located the file correctly in my dropbox, but I have put it right now. See if that works for you...

Should this be made a sticky?

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chris

A couple of things.

Yes this link works now, but it gives me a bunch of waypoints rather then just a track.

Also the other page you made uses the KMZ file not sure what that is but it won't open in my program.

Personally I would like to see a track rather then the waypoints. Not that you haven't been doing a great service. More of a request for something then a slight.

KML files work fine for me but all I need is the track no points if that's possible.

Also rather then making each trail it's own thread requiring a sticky maybe one thread with all of the links. That way it's all in one Torts thread.

I could see having the thread with all of the pics being separate from a single sticky with links to all of the files you create. Then a link to the thread non sticky that has all of the pics as well. If that makes sense.

Keep up the good work.

Tim

AZTtripper
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

My bad looked again and the track was there it's just buried under the waypoints.

Keep up the good work.

Tim

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am still trying to figure out the track thing. The program I use is gpsloggerII which is an a phone app and produces a kml, and gpx file. When I upload them to Google Earth I only get the waypoints, so Jonathan did something with the data to show the track. That is the file I linked to, and when I load it to Google earth on mine, I do get the track. I think there is something about GEarth on each person's computer that may not allow this. I will post links to the gpx and original kml file and see if they are any better...

I get the sticky idea... much better

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

gpx and another kml file now added

Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chris not to be a PITA (pain in the ass)

First off the GPX worked out just fine all I had to do was right click and save as pretty much standard. The only thing is it's a different track looks like a loop of the Preserve.

Secondly your doing one hell of a job and I highly commend you sir.

More on the sticky idea I think it would be good if a user could go to one page the stickied one and see the map of the whole area. And then have a list of files to load for each recommended ride. Then the link to each rides non sticky thread where all of the pics are posted. That would I think give people a good place to go just for files and another place to post pics and comments. There by leaving the sticky thread a little cleaner and more useful.

Just my .02 again great work you're setting the bar pretty high for trail descriptions. This is great as the area has a lot to offer but is a tough place to figure out. So your work should really help out anybody who want's to ride there.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oops! Operator error there folks! I just changed the files as I had posted links to the ride the day after... duh. Should be good to go now tho. I am new at this dropbox thing, and it may take a try or two to get it right consistently, please bear with me...
Tim, you are not a PITA, thanks for letting me know, and I think your ideas for the one sticky as a general repository is a great idea. I will keep putting out what I can, but will need help from the forum mods I guess to consolidate everything once it is done.

Expert Writer
Expert Writer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AZTtripper wrote:
More on the sticky idea I think it would be good if a user could go to one page the stickied one and see the map of the whole area. And then have a list of files to load for each recommended ride. Then the link to each rides non sticky thread where all of the pics are posted. That would I think give people a good place to go just for files and another place to post pics and comments. There by leaving the sticky thread a little cleaner and more useful.

My initial idea was one sticky and to categorize the rides under one of 5 major trailheads in the area: ( maybe with a pic of each trailhead )1. Wild Burro 2. Como 3. Honey Bee 4. Wind Mill on Edwin Rd. 5. Tortolita Preserve. That's sort of similar to what Tim is saying - if I'm reading this correctly.

Anyway - all that can be done later, after Chris gets off his ass Toe tap and finishes the damn write ups..... " Boss Oss Poss/Stone Canyon/ Maus, etc.". Obviously there's more than one way to skin a badger and whatever Chris comes up with will turn out great.

By the way, the Cochie Bushwack Loop is really a fantastic "all everything" ride. Sunday was my second time doing it and we whittled down the bushwack time from 25 minutes to about 9 minutes. It would be awesome if the LM would let us put in some link trail out there someday.

rockerc
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Max, I know you are no longer with us, but since no one else reads this dead forum any more, maybe you are reading it from the great trail up in the sky! I really miss you man. I miss our rides together out in the wilds, just nosing around like 2 old kids. I will always hold those memories dear to my heart. I will get off my ass one day soon and go do that ride in remembrance of you my old pal. Rest easy mate Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic